Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Beautiful Taormina, Sicily

If you are one of my loyal readers you have probably noticed that I have not been blogging much lately. The reason is simple: I was busy traveling. However, all good things must come to an end, and this is exactly what happened to us - we got home after being gone for almost two months.  So I am back in blogging mode again and will try to post a little more regularly.

To make good on that promise, here are some pictures I took in Taormina. This beautiful medieval town is situated about an hour's drive from Messina, along the coast of  Sicily.  The quiet charm of the town (despite the thousands of tourists that can descend upon it every day) made me want to stay for a week, a month, a whole summer.

The landscape is dominated by Mount Etna (a quite 
obviously active volcano) in the background.
The picturesque main square

The narrow streets invite exploration

Wrought iron ornamentation on the buildings

Old bell and ceramic sign

Yachts down below

Plants abound on balconies

Closeup of ceramic ornamental statue of the 
building above

View with Mt Etna in the background

Old and new buildings coexist 
Note the funky plant in the middle

Welcome cold water on a hot day

A great old light fixture

A living balcony

These are just a few of the wonderful pictures I have taken.  It was a hot clear day and just perfect for photos. I wish we could have stayed till sunset, it must be magical in there.  Arrivederci Taormina, I can't wait to see you again!




No comments:

Post a Comment